TULIP/Tenant User Liability Insurance

TULIP/Tenant User Liability Insurance  


Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at facilities provided they:

  • Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
  • Provide a Certificate of Insurance for liability coverage for the event

This insurance provides protection when you host activities that fall outside the scope of your General Liability Insurance or in instances where you do not currently carry General Liability Insurance. Event Liability Insurance provides liability coverage and legal defense for claims of negligence brought on the basis of mismanagement, improper security, failure to maintain equipment/fixtures, and more.

As you plan your event, it's essential that you make the appropriate insurance arrangements. Don't put it off; take care of the insurance now!

To get an online premium quote and apply for coverage, simply apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button or download the pdf application. If you have questions or need more information, contact AMBA at 1-866-838-9536.


Please click on the ‘Hazard Class Chart’ button below to find the following:

  • The appropriate hazard class for your non-sport and/or sport event;
  • To determine any potentially necessary waiver requirements;
  • To determine possible requirements for Accident Medical insurance.


Hazard Class Chart


If your event is not listed, please either contact us at 1-866-838-9536, Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm (CT) or via email at [email protected] or you may simply click on “Download Application” (to the right), complete the paper application and email it to us.


Please note, the Certificate of Insurance for which you are applying may be subject to additional approval requirements by the underwriting Insurance Company. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event date in order to meet your organization’s event insurance needs. Submission of a completed application and/or premium payment is not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not in place for your event until Certificate of Insurance is provided.

During the renewal process and website update, you may not be able to access the online registration. If you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, please download and complete the pdf application and email it to us at [email protected].

Apply for coverage!

Get an Online premium quote


Prior to the event you must deliver a Certificate of Insurance to the facility in charge of the space. The Certificate should be accompanied by a note listing the name of the event sponsor, the date of the event, and the location of the event (since some departments control multiple venues).

If you already have insurance coverage, please have your insurance company send the facility in charge of the space a Certificate of Insurance with the following specifications:

  • You or your company must be listed as the Insured.
  • The event sponsor must be listed as an Additional Insureds.
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the Certificate.
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the entire length of your event.
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing a vehicle, the policy must include Automobile Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing employees, the policy must include evidence of Workers’ Compensation coverage.
  • The Certificate of Insurance must provide 30 days’ advance written notice for any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.

If you DO NOT have insurance coverage
 of your own, you may obtain coverage by filling out the online or paper (pdf) application provided on this website. Payment must be received prior to the event. A Certificate of Insurance will be issued upon receipt of payment. The Certificate of Insurance is your proof of coverage. Present it to the facility in charge of the space prior to the event.

Participants Legal Liability provides coverage for claims you are legally obligated to pay because of actions brought against you, the Named Insured, by players and/or other participant(s). Participant means any player, coach, manager, staff member, team worker, official, media personnel, cheerleader, or band member practicing for, or participating in, the sporting event. This means all of your team members and players and any participating non-members! Participant liability insurance, like all liability policies, would provide coverage to the injured party only if the tenant user were liable.

****Failure to comply with one, or both, of the following requirements will affect Participant Legal Liability in place for any event even if a Certificate of Insurance is provided.****

For sports participants, you must have Accident Medical coverage in force. Failure to purchase Accident Medical insurance will mean that Participants Legal Liability will be subject to a $10,000 deductible. For more information about Accident Medical coverage, please visit the Accident Medical page on this website.

You must also have a Waiver and Release form system that is regularly maintained or Participants Legal Liability will be subject to a $10,000 deductible. This system must secure and maintain properly executed Waiver and Release forms for all participants. For minor participants (under eighteen years of age) you must always secure and maintain properly executed Minor Waiver and Release forms signed by the parent or legal guardian.


Download an Application

Claims Reporting

  • How to Report a TULIP Claim to Philadelphia Insurance Company

    1. Gather the Facts

      When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (Your University plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type(s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

    2. Report
    3. Follow Up
    4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.


We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.


 Direct Phone
 M-F 8a-5p CST
[email protected]
 Mailing Address
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306
 Street Address for Express Shipments
4050 114th Street
Urbandale, Iowa 50322


AMBA's Role & Compensation